Attorney Banner

Driver's LicenseCounty Attorney Driver's License Reinstatement Pay Plans (CAPPs)

Your license is suspended because of unpaid court fines. Normally, the fines must be paid in full before you can get your driver’s license back. A County Attorney Driver's License Reinstatement Pay Plan (CAPP) may allow you to reinstate your driver's license while consolidating payments on all of your unpaid fines and Department of Transportation (DOT) civil penalties.

In plain language, a CAPP allows you to “rent” your license while you pay down your fines.

 Applicants with pending Johnson County serious misdemeanor, aggravated misdemeanor or
felony charges will not be considered until those charges have been resolved.

 Applicant must submit a completed personal financial statement.

 • Employed applicants must approve and sign a wage assignment prior to beginning the agreement
and maintain such assignments for all jobs held throughout the duration of the agreement.

 Unemployed applicants must show proof of disability or other income. Unemployed applicants who are not disabled must obtain and keep employment.

 Applicants must obtain and maintain personal financial liability coverage (auto insurance).

         º Proof of current coverage and insurer contact information must be presented before starting agreement and must be presented upon request throughout the duration of the agreement.

 • Applicants should review Other Issues and FAQs before applying.

 • Participation in a Driver's License Reinstatement Agreement requires the full cooperation of the applicant.

 Acceptance or refusal of an agreement application is subject to the full discretion of the Johnson County Attorney's Office.

 Small Bullet 1OTHER ISSUES


Small Bullet 4 Bars and Revocations

These are holds on your license that last for specific periods of time.  Nothing will end them early.  Even if you are barred or revoked, a CAPP may still be helpful if you need a Temporary Restricted License (TRL) for work, school, child care, health care or other reasons.  Click here for more information about TRLs.

Applicants are advised to check with the DOT regarding their eligibility for a TRL. Entering a CAPP does NOT guarantee issuance of a TRL.

Small Bullet 4 DOT Civil Penalties

DOT assesses a "civil penalty" each time it bars or revokes your license. If possible you should pay these before setting up a CAPP.   But if you cannot pay DOT civil penalties in full we can include them as part of a CAPP. For information about paying DOT civil penalties online or by mail, click here.   

Small Bullet 4  Drinking Driver’s Class (12-hour) 

• If you live in Iowa,  Click here  
• If you live outside Iowa,  Click here   

Small Bullet 4  Insurance

• All CAPP participants must maintain standard liability insurance as required by the state where the applicant resides. 
• In addition, the DOT may require SR-22 Insurance.
 Click here   
• Proof of Non-owner’s Insurance is required for participants who do not own their own vehicles. 
 Click here 
Small Bullet 4  Ignition Interlock Devices -  Click here
Small Bullet 4  Substance Abuse Evaluations and Treatment

If you live in Iowa,
 Click here  

If you live outside Iowa look in your yellow pages or search under “substance abuse treatment” or “drug abuse treatment”.

If you think you have completed these requirements, contact your service provider and ask them to notify the DOT.


Small Bullet 4FAQs  Click here


Iowa License PlateVehicle Registration Holds & Lifts  

If you have any outstanding fines payable to the court, there will be a hold on your ability to register a motor vehicle in Iowa. This includes all criminal and driving-related fines. The hold will remain in place until all fines are paid in full.

However, if you are current on a satisfactory pay plan with the County Attorney we can grant a temporary ten (10) day lift of the hold to allow you to register your vehicle.

If you are working, we will require a wage assignment in order for your pay plan to be satisfactory. 

If you stopped making payments on a previous pay plan you will have to bring yourself current with the terms of that plan, plus an additional payment to be determined before we will enter a new plan and grant a lift on a vehicle registration hold. You will have to submit a new financial statement and pay stubs. 

Contact us with your current residing address, mailing address and phone number.  If we agree that you are current on your plan we will notify your County Treasurer to lift the hold.



Gavel Contempt Of Court / Show Cause Hearings

In some cases we file contempt of court (sometimes called Show Cause) proceedings to help collect fines. We will work with you to set up a pay plan. If you do not comply with the pay plan, you must appear in court and explain why you have not done so – pay or appear.

If you are working, we will require a wage assignment in order for your pay plan to be satisfactory. 


Deferred Judgement - Probation Discharge Deferred Judgment/Probation Discharge


The law prohibits discharge from probation if you still owe money to the court -- unless you are on a satisfactory pay plan with the County Attorney.

If you are up-to-date on an existing plan with either your probation officer or us we will usually adopt that as your discharge pay plan, but we reserve the right to revise the plan based on your current circumstances.

If you are working, we will require a wage assignment in order for your plan to be satisfactory.

Complete and return the Intake and Financial Statement.


 Curved green arrow Intake And Financial Statement Form