November 8, 2016 Presidential Election
Dates and Deadlines
- Wednesday, July 27: Deadline for judges to file for retention
- August 1- 19: Filing period for federal and state candidates. File with Secretary of State.
- August 8- 31: Filing period for county and township candidates. File with Auditor's Office.
- Monday, September 5: Labor Day, office closed.
- Saturday, September 24: Military and overseas ballots mailed by this date.
Domestic ballots will be mailed soon after this date.
- Thursday, September 29: First day for in person early voting. Auditor's Office open 7:45-5:30 weekdays.
- Saturday, October 29: Pre-registration deadline, 5 p.m. Auditor's Office will be open.
Voters may still register after this date under election day registration procedures (ID and proof of address required)
- Friday, November 4: Deadline to request mailed ballot. Requests must be in our office by 5 p.m.
- Saturday, November 5: Auditor's Office open.
- Monday, November 7: Last day for in person early voting at Auditor's Office, 7:45-5:30. Mailed absentee ballots must be postmarked by this date.
- Tuesday, November 8: Polls open 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. Vote at regular polling places. Note that many polling places have changed since the 2012 presidential election.
More dates and deadlines at Secretary of State
- President and Vice President
- U.S. Senator
- U.S. Representative, 2nd District
- State Representatives: Districts 73, 74, 77, 85, 86
(Johnson County state senators all elected to four year terms in 2014, not on 2016 ballot)
- County Board of Supervisors (3 seats)
- County Auditor
- County Sheriff
- Soil and Water Conservation Commission (3 seats)
- Ag Extension Council (4 seats)
- Township Trustees - two seats per rural township.
Township clerk and/or a third trustee in some townships to fill vacancies
- Judicial Retention (yes or no for judges to remain in office)
More information on term lengths and signature requirements
Past Johnson County Election Returns