What Is General Assistance?
General Assistance (GA) provides short-term monetary help to Johnson County residents in extreme financial crisis.
General Assistance (GA) offers a safety net for those not eligible for other government programs and promotes community strength by encouraging individual stability, self-sufficiency and responsibility.
General Assistance (GA) promotes respect, compassion, and fairness in all of its interactions with persons seeking and receiving aid.
What Help Is Available?
Financial assistance is available to address the following needs: rent, utilities, provisions, prescriptions, burial, and other expenses necessary for support of the eligible applicant.
Who Is Eligible?
To be eligible for General Assistance, an applicant must comply with the following requirements:
1. Speak with a General Assistance Assistant and complete an application.
2. Be a resident of Johnson County.
3. Be 18 years of age or married.
4. Apply for and follow-through with all other assistance programs which they may be eligible for such as Veterans Affairs, Family Investment Program (FIP), Food Stamps and Social Security Disability Insurance.
5. Meet income eligibility requirements as established by the guidelines and verified by the GA Assistant.
Applying For General Assistance
If you are in need of financial assistance, please call 356-6090 and ask to speak with a General Assistance Assistant.
Policies And Reports
2013 Annual Report
2012 Annual Report
2009 Annual Report
2008 Annual Report
2007 Annual Report
2006 Annual Report
Assistance For Burial And Cremation
Burial Policy Brochure
Assistance Guidelines - Quick Reference Guide
Interim Assistance Program Brochure
e-mail: Lynette Jacoby, Social Services Coordinator
Phone: (319) 356-6090, or (319) 688-5703
Health & Human Services Building
855 S Dubuque Street
Iowa City, IA 52240
(Lakeside or Broadway bus routes)
Office Hours: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm, Monday through Friday