Zoning Banner 

Zoning Information 

Small Bullet 4The Unified Development Ordinance 

Johnson County Unified Development OrdinanceAbobe Icon

Amendments to the Unified Development Ordinance Since June 13, 2013  

Land Use Plan  

Small box bullet Zoning is a method of land use regulation designed to minimize the negative impacts of certain types of land use by separating them from one another. This is achieved by restricting uses to classified districts, such as residential, agricultural, commercial, and industrial zones. The regulations are intended to allow these different land uses to be located and organized in a manner that promotes the public health, safety, comfort and general welfare, to conserve property values, and to facilitate the adequate provision of transportation, water, sewage, schools, parks, and other public requirements.

Most of the laws and regulations we live by are determined at the Federal and State level. States recognize, however, that the regulation of land-use is better understood and controlled at the local level. Therefore, under State-delegated authority, Johnson County has its own Code of Ordinances which contains the "Property and Land Use" zoning regulations.

The County Unified Development is a legal document, but it will not be upheld in a court of law unless its regulations show a direct relationship to a "rational planning process. " As a result, most municipal governments develop living comprehensive planning documents.

Small box bullet The Planning Development & Sustainability Department has two primary purposes: to administrate the regulations contained within the Zoning Ordinance, and to maintain a planning process that reflects the evolving needs of Johnson County.

The unincorporated area of Johnson County is divided into 5 land use areas: Agricultural/Rural, North Corridor, Unicorporated villages, Fringe Areas, and Cities. The County has zoning responsibility in all but the cities. There are 5 zoning districts:
1) A Districts – Rural,
2) R Districts – Residential,
3) C Districts – Commercial,
4) M Districts – Industrial,
5) P Districts - Public,
6) AWDRR Districts - Solid Waste.
These six districts are further divided into more specific sub-districts (e.g., A, AR etc.).

Small box bullet Any parcel of land, with the exception of farms, which is not zoned to allow for a residential or commercial use must be rezoned before a building permit can be issued for construction of a building for that parcel. Please visit the Planning Development & Sustainability Department for information on zoning and rezoning applications.